- This event has passed.
Integrated Pest Management for Schools and Childcare Centers
Integrated Pest Management for Schools: Updated Manual
This training will discuss updated sections of the IPM in Schools How-To Manual prepared by Penn State Extension’s Community IPM Program. The training will address:
- Asthma triggers associated with pests
- Bedbugs and best practices for schools
- “Who Does What?” explains what the legislation requires of the school/ childcare and others.
- “Beneficial Insects and Pollinators” has been added that explains the importance of “good bugs” and the need for conservation and provides tips for attracting beneficial organisms to school and childcare gardens and grounds.
- “How to Develop an IPM Policy and Plan for Your School District or Childcare Facility/Provider” shows the parts of an acceptable plan with an outline to adapt it for your school/childcare.
- A sample notification letter for parents and guardians has been added, as well as a sample pest control information sheet used to inform staff and parents and guardians about pesticide applications.
- Emerging new pests in Pennsylvania (e.g., spotted lanternfly, emerald ash borer, tick species/ diseases vectored, mosquito species/diseases vectored, nonnative and invasive plants and fish) as a result of human behaviors and climate change. Best management practices for these pests is ongoing.
Dion Lerman will lead the training. Dion is an Associate Certified Entomologist; Healthy Homes Specialist and Environmental Health Programs Specialist with the Philadelphia School & Community IPM Partnership.
Join us for a free workshop to learn how you can incorporate IPM into your school or childcare facilities plan as part of their preventive maintenance.
***Please note: Only 2 seats are available per school district***
Breakfast will be provided. Breakfast and registration begin at 8:30 AM.
PA Pesticide Management Recertification Credits are pending approval (Category 5, 11, and 23); please bring your PA Pesticide Applicator License # with you.
This training is provided free of charge through Healthy Schools PA, and in collaboration with the Community IPM Partnership through Penn State Extension.
Advanced Registration Required. Please Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/integrated-pest-management-for-schools-a-training-workshop-tickets-95430815137